SlashNET is an independently-operated IRC network. Originally sponsored by Slashdot, in 1999 SlashNET split-off to become its own entity. While you may recognize the nicknames of some Slashdot editors, and meet many Slashdot readers and contributors, we are neither a SourceForge Inc. subsidiary nor a support forum for Slashdot use.
SlashNET runs IRC Services, to facilitate nickname and channel maintenance, and the IRC server software we use, UnrealIRCD, features several enhancements over standard ircd, such as optional hostname and IP address cloaking to help protect you from denial of service attacks. The help section answers some frequently asked questions about using these features.
As you may notice while looking through this site, SlashNET integrates live IRC data and Services registration data into the site, giving each user, channel, and server on the network a unique information page. This system also allows users to log in using their Services primary nickname and password to edit profile information listed on user pages.
Several communities and projects maintain an IRC presence at SlashNET, including Penny Arcade Expo, Penny Arcade Forums, Everything, Gunblogger Conspiracy, MetaFilter, DigitalMZX, Nations@War, Vendetta Online, TwitterPonies, Lockpicking 101, Smokedot, Mirrorshades, Arcade Otaku, Vintage-Computer.com and the original IRC idle RPG, #g7. We invite your community or organization to find a home on our network as well.
Network Status and News
Last updated 2013 May 13 13:25:34
- Our Chicago IL server, bees.slashnet.org, has been returned to full service and put back into DNS rotation.
- There are no current issues affecting SlashNET.
- 1461 users online (776 invisible)
- 1721 users max on 2013-05-22 21:46:23 (1d9h18m59s ago)
- 2488 nicknames registered in 1923 nickgroups
- 229 user profiles created.
- 478 channels in use (145 hidden)
- 550 channels max on 2013-05-08 19:24:45 (15d11h40m37s ago)
- 426 channels registered