SlashNET is an independently-operated IRC network. Originally sponsored by Slashdot, in 1999 SlashNET split-off to become its own entity. While you may recognize the nicknames of some Slashdot editors, and meet many Slashdot readers and contributors, we are neither a SourceForge Inc. subsidiary nor a support forum for Slashdot use.
SlashNET runs IRC Services, to facilitate nickname and channel maintenance, and the IRC server software we use, UnrealIRCD, features several enhancements over standard ircd, such as optional hostname and IP address cloaking to help protect you from denial of service attacks. The help section answers some frequently asked questions about using these features.
As you may notice while looking through this site, SlashNET integrates live IRC data and Services registration data into the site, giving each user, channel, and server on the network a unique information page. This system also allows users to log in using their Services primary nickname and password to edit profile information listed on user pages.
Several communities and projects maintain an IRC presence at SlashNET, including Penny Arcade Expo, Penny Arcade Forums, Everything, Gunblogger Conspiracy, MetaFilter, DigitalMZX, Nations@War, Vendetta Online, TwitterPonies, Lockpicking 101, Mirrorshades, Arcade Otaku, Vintage-Computer.com and the original IRC idle RPG, #g7. We invite your community or organization to find a home on our network as well.
Network Status and News
Last updated 2014 July 14 18:29:54
- Outgoing mail from Services has been fixed for providers other than Gmail, but we are currently working with Google to restore outgoing mail to Gmail users.
- 1541 users online (718 invisible)
- 1855 users max on 2013-06-10 20:51:32 (1y49d12h27m21s ago)
- 1741 nicknames registered in 1415 nickgroups
- 240 user profiles created.
- 547 channels in use (176 hidden)
- 734 channels max on 2014-02-21 06:44:05 (159d8h23m34s ago)
- 446 channels registered